A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Friday 25 November 2016

Girl on fire

So I ended my last post with hope and it reminded me of a book I’ve just read.

(Note – I realise I am a 40-year-old woman responsible for a child and not an angst-ridden teenager, but I’m don’t care what you think right, I’m a bit of a fan of young adult fiction. And I’m going to slam the door and stomp off to my bedroom to read it. I didn’t ask to be born.)

In the publishing sensation that is The Hunger Games trilogy, young heroine Katniss lives in a dystopian future and enters an unthinkable fight-to-the-death live action programme framed as light entertainment.

Without giving too much away, she turns out to be quite a symbol of hope for the persecuted masses who start to see her as the figurehead for a long overdue rebellion.

But behind the scenes, the film adaptation shows the head gamesmaker and top politician, the twisted minds running The Hunger Games, having the following telling exchange:

Seneca Crane: “Hope?”
President Snow: “Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous.”

And this, I think, is at the heart of my own fight for balance. Not the physical MS balance, that’s a bit of a losing battle, but the emotional MS balance.

Throughout this whole MS journey* I have always strived to keep hold of hope.
I think this is a positive thing and it has often served as a good pep talk for my ailing body: remember, there’s always hope, remember, there’s always hope.

But I’m also conscious that eventually – in each relapse – there will come a point when there is no room left for hope.

Relapses are a perfect example of how a little hope is effective; keeps me positive, keeps me believing, keeps me going - and a lot of hope is dangerous; what happens when reality bites and I need to face the fact I’ve lost that bit of me for good?

Good question, back to The Hunger Games.

The final sentence of that conversation is: “A spark is fine, as long as it's contained.”

Perhaps that’s an example too – keep a spark of hope, but contain it within realistic boundaries. Keep hoping until you have to stop. And then start hoping you will gain acceptance.

There’s quite a lot to read into these kids’ stories you know.

Out of interest, the tagline of The Hunger Games is: “May the odds be ever in your favour.” Let’s have a little hope that’s the case.



*Yack, by the way, to the word journey. I can no longer say it without believing I’m on a celebrity reality show.


No comments:

Post a Comment