A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Saturday 5 February 2022

Toxic

Covid finally caught up with the Scrambled household recently.

While we've avoided it for almost two years, it has been seeming inevitable for a while - daughter's class has been affected by Delta (pre-Christmas) and Omicron (post) so the chances of avoiding it have been slim to non-existant.

And when the double line showed up on her test a couple of Sundays ago, it was only a matter of time before we all had matching LFTs.

And so it was. Fortunately, it was mild. Daughter bounced back within a couple of days. Husband and I had what felt like an extremely heavy cold.

My taste and smell went, but seems to be heading back, but my word the tiredness. So a few days off work then a week of dragging myself back through it and here we are.

Being CEV (blimey, the new language we have) I was able to access an infusion of the new antivirals. So into hospital it was for a couple of hours to receive them.

But not before frantic calls to my MS team to check I could actually have them - because, almost unbelievably, I'm in the middle of Cladribine treatment.

Yes - after waiting 16 months for my lymphocytes to struggle back to clearance level and finally getting the drugs - I was taking my last tablet of week one on the day Covid was confirmed in the house.

The timing is soap opera-worthy. As is the fact I took day one of the course EXACTLY 18 years to the day that I was taken into hospital for my first relapse.

But my MS nurse cleared things (in, I have to say, the quickest ever call back I've had) it so onto the infusion I went. Hard to know if it helped, but better to have than not.

So now it's just a case of making sure LFTs remain negative before I start my second week of the drugs that come with cheerfully yellow warning stickers.

Will they work? 

Unknown, but hoping.

:: Toxic by Britney Spears






No comments:

Post a Comment