A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Monday 24 October 2016

I won't back down

When I left my previous role, my lovely work colleagues presented me with an amazing wordle picture. (Here’s some examples – I didn’t know the proper name when they gave it me.)

They’d collected up all the words they’d use to describe me and popped them all onto A2 and framed it as part of my farewell gift.

And they are 35 lovely, lovely words. Then right down at the bottom of the picture are two others that made me smile: strong-willed and stubborn.*

While I’ve assumed they were describing someone far better than me with the nicer words, sadly there’s no getting round those two.

Because crikey they’re right. But the thing is, I’ve yet to decide if being stubborn is a help or a hindrance.

This was brought into focus last week, this time in my current job, when I was quite clearly not well. My head was on fire, my brain had moved house and my balance had gone so completely I was stumbling around the office like Bambi on absinthe.

So to stop me injuring myself/my colleagues/the office equipment, HR stepped in and gently suggested I might like to think about going home.

This was met with a furrowed brow – although not as furrowed as I would have liked due to head-on-fire situation. 

But it did prove that I’m a bit of a nightmare for employers when it comes to my MS in the workplace – I don’t like giving up. And I don’t like it for a number of reasons:
  1. Guilt
  2. Deteriorating sickness absence record
  3. I know how ill I can be and on that scale, I wasn’t that ill
But eventually common sense prevailed and HR won. As my colleagues chaperoned me down in the lift (ostensibly to make sure I was okay, but actually to make sure I left the building) I fell into three walls and sheepishly apologised for my ridiculous carry-on-until-the-bitter-end-ness.

I accept that I struggle with utter pig-headedness.

From my point of view, it’s what keeps me going. From their point of view, it’s what’s preventing their duty of care.

Plus all the in between messiness of me feeling a burden or making colleagues uncomfortable and them worrying about offending personal pride or accidentally making me feel I’m not wanted.

It’s unlikely to be a dilemma that’s settled soon, if at all. So in the meantime I’m just grateful to be a) working, b) working with people that care and c) not to have broken the printer.



*I can’t decide if strong-willed is actually just a polite and faux empowering way of saying stubborn. But I think they’re probably both on there to make a point.


No comments:

Post a Comment