A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Monday 5 December 2016

Jump

I’ve been off the Avonex for two weeks now in preparation for my shiny/scary new tablets.

I’ve never really minded the needles or the injecting. I didn’t have too many side effects bar an occasional headache and a few more balance issues than usual the day after.

As a medication, I was okay with it.
Unfortunately however, it was not okay with me and didn’t do the job I needed it to. So it’s farewell to the needle and hello to the tablets.

I had it all planned out nicely, I’d start Tecfidera the week before Christmas on the lower dose then up it the week after the big day festivities.
Yes, I realise that new meds over the most wonderful the of the year is possibly not the best present I could give myself when you factor in the potential side effects and lack of medical availability.

But the cunning thinking in this plan was that I have two weeks off work and would rather suss out the side effects at home than in the office.

So all was well. That is until I called my MS nurse today to check on tablet delivery – and found she’s been off sick for two weeks, will be for the foreseeable and therefore can’t sign my prescription. 

Now obviously, she is allowed to be ill, but argh, so much for best laid plans.

However, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, so there is no point in getting (as my mother would say) het up about it.

This is a relatively new experience for me, this roll with the punches outlook.
Left to my own devices, I am a planner and worrier. I have plans and back-up plans and just-in-case plans. And a plan B for all of those plans.

But I’ve noticed that increasingly over time I have started to let those tightly gripped reigns go a bit – I don’t know if it’s age or parenting (where very few things go to plan unless you sign up to the Gina Ford school of thinking) or laziness or MS.

I’m very aware that stressing myself out over things I have little control over is neither helpful or productive.

So when it comes to the drugs, I’m just going to have to accept and move on – while enjoying a few more festive tipples than I’d though I might. Always a silver lining.



Footnote: we have one part time MS nurse and one neurologist in the densely populated area in which I live. They are trying to care for thousands of people and it explains why the wait for my annual neurologist’s appointment has now increased to 18months. I’m also aware that I’m lucky to have this level of access and treatment options. However, it is still not enough - but that is a longer post for another time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment