A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Monday 16 January 2017

Wouldn't it be nice

I've just been to the dentist to have a filling replaced.

Yes, you see, this is why you read this blog, for these glamorous little insights into my life. I've also done a full load of washing and planned the meals for the week.

Anyway, I started the appointment by dutifully updating my dentist on my recent medication change.*

Now bearing in mind I have seen this dentist for a number of years, completed endless medical screening questionnaires provided by the surgery for their records, explained to him a number of times I have MS and taken him through why infections are so potentially dangerous, he still looked blankly at me and asked what I took medication for.

Deep breath.

I have multiple sclerosis,” I said for quite possibly the 27th time. Maybe I should make it into a little La La Land-esque show tune, he may remember if there was a charmingly nostalgic song and dance routine attached.

But you look so (and I waited for it, fully expecting the w-word........) nice.”
Erm, nice? Did he say nice? Not, perhaps, well? I replayed the moment.
No, he definitely said nice.

This stumped me so I mumbled something incoherent about hidden illnesses and sat down in the chair. 

I felt ~ great word alert ~ discombobulated by this pronouncement. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean 'nice' as in attractive as I was wearing far less than the usual amount of makeup that I generally rely on to be classed as passable.

So what was it? Was it an unconscious choice of words that passed some sort of judgement on the kind of people who should get ill?

I wonder just how many people share this bias; that looking – or being - nice should somehow protect us from any unpleasantness in life.
That crappy things are only meant to happen to people who look a bit, well, unpleasant?
Or am I over-thinking it and did he actually mean to say the usual ‘well’ but got a bit flustered at dealing with a disabled person? 

I didn't have much time to ponder it as a few minutes later, patched up, I went downstairs and looked at the bill.

And I can assure you my internal language was anything but nice. AND there was no sticker.




*Tecfidera update: I'm suspicious. I upped to the full dose yesterday and bar a very minor flush and prickly skin incident, things appear to be oddly quiet. My Tec diary tells me to expect the peak side effects in week 3 though, so I'm trying not to get lulled into a false sense of security.

No comments:

Post a Comment