A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 25 January 2017

Yummy, yummy, yummy

It was MS nurse appointment day on Monday.

Once we’d got the nice news out the way – she is to become a grandma, I didn’t get lost on the drive over – we got into the Tecfidera review.

As previously mentioned, I have been suspicious of the lack of side effects to date. Thus far they have amounted to a couple of hot flushes and a bit of a runny nose.

When I first picked up the prescription, I was given a factsheet outlining all the potential gastro-intestinal side effects and all the over the counter medication I could have in stock to try and ward them off.

I have yet to experience them and I DO NOT WANT THEM (block capitals in case they’re reading this) but with 4 out of 10 people experiencing them, I am still anticipating. Especially as week three is the peak week (ooh, that rhymes.)

But alongside the medication was the note that Tecfidera needs to be taken with a decent sized meal with good fats as this has been shown to reduce some of the effects.
I may have taken this a bit too much to heart by scarfing down avocado smoothies and peanut butter like there’s no tomorrow.

But if my increased quantity of foodstuff is so far supporting my tum, then it isn’t helping my waistline.

I had the usual weight and blood pressure test before I saw my nurse and found that I’d put on a few pounds – now, I’m not saying this is purely down to the Tecfidera and may well be a hangover from a foodie and boozy Christmas, but it did make me consider that of the many crappy effects of the disease, weight gain is a massively irritating one.

To be fair, the odds are stacked against us– with a variety of medications directly or indirectly causing the pounds to pile on, the decreased mobility which limits the sphere of exercise or the bouts of fatigue which mean lifting an eyelid is as difficult as lifting a barbell.

But, really, if I’m on the Tec for a while (lymphocytes and liver dependant, obviously) then I can’t keep scoffing and for my waistline and my general health will have to start exercising.

With this in mind, I shall be swimming on Friday – how far and for how long I do not know, but it’s a start.



Interesting aside: we went to the cinema this Sunday then, thanks to Metro vouchers, to the golden-arched temple of unhealthiness for lunch afterwards. Over my munching I heard the dulcet tones of my neurologist who was presiding over a children’s birthday party. We chatted and I felt compelled to tell him that I don’t eat this stuff often. But then I reflected that if it was okay for him then by almost medical decree, it’s okay for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment