A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 17 October 2018

Patience of angels

Like many other MSers, I’m often greeted with a cheery “You look well.”

And although I could interpret this patience-testing phrase in different ways*, generally I like to think that it’s coming from a good place and spoken by kind people who really do want me to be well.

And so I smile and brush it off with “Thanks, good make-up” and leave it at that to avoid getting into a long, drawn-out woe-is-me conversation which will just put a damper on everyone’s day.

Because unless you’re with a fellow MSer, discussing symptoms - particularly hidden ones - can be a bit like listening to someone else’s dreams. Very vivid to you, very hard for anyone else to comprehend.

On the whole, it's not something I feel I can be totally honest about, even with friends who have been there throughout the whole process. 

Not entirely sure why - perhaps it's just my damaged state has become so normal I've stopped noticing, perhaps it's just too tedious to go over again or perhaps because actually talking about it makes it a bit too upsettingly real. For everyone.

But maybe Invisible Disabilities Week is the ideal opportunity to share my hidden damage in all its glory. (Plus this is a blog so I can’t see your I’m-sort-of-listening-but-I’m-also-thinking-about-my-dinner face.)



So this is me, looking well.

And when I relapse I look rough as hell and continue to look that way for quite a while.

Oh, hang on...maybe that’s what’s behind the “you look well.” It’s not that I look particularly good, it’s because people just can’t bring themselves to tell me how bad I look the rest of the time.

:: Patience of angels by Eddi Reader

*Including if you look well, you must actually be well and not the clanking bag of bones you claim to be. You have been lying to me and the world at large, making endless excuses for not doing stuff and sucking our sympathy dry. I am not bringing you cake/flowers/gin ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment