A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 3 October 2018

Words

I love words. Just love them.

I did an English degree, I trained as a journalist, I read voraciously. I love language. In moments of stress I love bad language. The more creative, the better.

When I discovered why my body was packing up, I also entered into a brand new world of language. Words like oligoclonal bands, myelin sheath and optic neuritis were both hugely frightening and delightfully musical.

And – in the manner of Carrie Bradshaw – this got me wondering about language and MS.

More specifically, the way people describe the MS community and disabilities in general.

There’s the nicer-sounding words people use while hoping they are saying the right thing. Words like “brave,” “inspirational,” or “warrior.”

They're usually from a good place but can sometimes make me feel like I need to live up to a person I'm just not.

However, they’re a heck of a lot better than “sufferer", "unfortunate” or "invalid." Think about that: literally, not valid.

And, depending on the attitude of the speaker, these are the words that can cause an unintentional drip-drip of damage to your self-esteem or be blatantly slap-in-the-face offensive.

I’ve been lucky, I haven’t been exposed to a lot of language-related nastiness. But there has been one comment that has stuck with me. 

A former colleague once asked me if I was going to have a flu jab. It was autumn time, I heard no warning bells go off, it seemed a perfectly reasonable enquiry. I said I was and received the response: “Oh yes, they give them to your lot don’t they.”

"Your lot." 

Two little words. Just seven small letters implying that I wasn’t with the ‘us,’ that I was somehow different, unusual, exclusive – and not in a good way. 

Not just that, but as if there was some marauding and diseased horde of ‘your lot’ ganging up on the normal, decent, respectable people.

It was a Daily Mail-esque description and made it very clear the damage words can do.

Sometimes poor word choice comes from a lack of understanding, sometimes it's simply a fear of what to say for the best.

But a conscious choice of hurtful words indicates a divisive and dangerous attitude that does nobody any good. After all, if there's one thing we don't need more of, it's division.

So in the way we talk about disability, as well as how we refer to other things in life, we would all do well to mind our language.




These handy guides to inclusive communication have been produced by the Government - it’s almost like they care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment