A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 6 February 2019

Waterloo sunset

Yes, I am relieved.
Yes, I am very pleased.

But crikey I'm exhausted.

The concern over my work circumstances has been on my mind for the past couple of months and while I've been trying to appreciate the down time, I've been mainly panicking about not working.

But as this has changed and I'm back in the world of long meetings, lots of travel and team tea-making negotiations - at least for the time being.

So I'm delighted, but I'd also forgotten how tiring it all is. I have been freelancing from home for the past year - where the most taxing part of the day had been taking my daughter to school before sitting in our dining room with a large cup of tea, writing.

I am now back carrying out work for a national charity so this inevitably involves trips to head office in London. Very early starts, very crowded trains, very busy environment.

I travelled last week, train delayed by an iced-up points failure, so I ended up hurtling across the underground, frantically checking my watch, like a metropolitan White Rabbit.

By some kind of miracle, I made it to my meeting only two minutes late - but unable to make any of the faces out around the table because the panic and heated rush had temporarily awoken my eye damage. Not the ideal way to start.

Or, as it turns out, end - as on returning home, it was clear that the trip out had also impacted my legs. Cue five days of ropey walking.

Trying to work as my disability progresses is proving to be an increasingly a difficult balance. It's really good for my self-esteem, it's beneficial to my bank balance but it's a horror for my health.

So what am I supposed to do? Not work and struggle - or work and struggle?

It's a game, isn't it.



(My route to London takes me into Marylebone Station where the loos are Monopoly themed. I rather like them although I do wonder exactly what you have to pass in the bathroom to collect £200.)

:: Waterloo sunset by The Kinks

No comments:

Post a Comment