A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 30 January 2019

Waltzing along

A week is a long time in politics, as Harold Wilson is reported to have said.

Although anyone watching the constantly shifting sands of Brexit would argue that reducing that week to a day might be more accurate.

But it turns out that a week is a long time in my work panic time frame too.

After writing last week's blog about trying to find work, I had an unexpected meeting with my former employer offering me some consultancy work back with them.

Just for a limited period at present - but back doing what I did before and back thanks to a government grant awarded based on work I had done before.

Very relieved. And pleased.

But it has made me realize how closely my self-worth is tied up with working. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I was interviewing a fellow MSer yesterday for the branch's newsletter. A former police officer who had to take ill-health retirement.

I asked her how she had coped with letting work go.

The answer wasn't easy - she knew the health benefits early retirement had brought, but the loss of the status of employment had hit her.

She has managed to find other things to focus on, but the taking away of a job she had done (and loved) for 27 years has been a bitter blow.

I've not enjoyed the thought of not working and I don't know how I am going to deal with it if I get to the point where I have to stop.

But for now I am grateful to have been given a lifebelt that may keep me afloat in the seas of employment for a bit longer.


:: Waltzing along by James

2 comments:

  1. Yeah work and my self worth are too closely linked (I am also a consultant) hope it works out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruth, that's really kind. It's a real struggle to see your own value outside of the working world. Shouldn't be that way, but I'm definitely wrestling with it at present. Hope things are going well for you x

    ReplyDelete