A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 9 January 2019

Defying gravity

Over the Christmas and New Year break we did lots of lovely things as a family.

None more so than joining three of my daughter's friends on an early January day trip to London to see a matinee of Wicked - the true story of Elphaba, Oz's wicked witch of the west.

It was a glorious day out, filled with the enthusiasm and hilarity of four nine and 10-year-olds who were just enjoying every last little thing about the day.

What a privilege to be able to share it with them and how grateful I am that I could.

I'd warned the party that I would inevitably weep at Defying Gravity - Elphaba's defiant battle cry - and weep I did.

Because it's a wonderful song about not accepting limits, not bowing to critics and not being afraid to take chances.

Elphaba speaks for all of us when she proclaims that 'everybody deserves the chance to fly.'

I don't know what 2019 is going to hold, but I do know that hearing that song at the start of the year is a pretty good refrain to keep in mind as I go through it.



:: Defying gravity by Idina Menzel

No comments:

Post a Comment