A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 11 March 2020

You & Me Song

It was my birthday at the weekend, my 15th with MS.

I don't normally tend to acknowledge my MS alongside celebrations for my advancing years, but this year I did think about it.

Things have changed since my last birthday - the result of two relapses within seven months - and the difference between my 43rd birthday and 44th were clear to me.

I went out for dinner with friends the night before my big day. This proved more of an issue than it would have previously - I needed help fastening jewellery, I couldn't wear the higher heels, I struggled with the cutlery and I was limited to only ONE celebratory gin.

Given the evening out before, there was no huge party on my big day itself. I knew I'd have to spend the day itself quietly. So I did.

The day after my birthday my husband and I booked a day off work and went on a day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon, one of our favourite places.
Stratford was as delightful as ever; the cafes, the shops, the RSC and the swans.

But it's clear that I'm struggling now to do the walking along the river like I used to, to consider booking a play without worrying I'll be unwell or even manage to be much of a conversationalist by the end of the trip. Poor hubby.

I realise that progression is inevitable in MS - just as I'm brutally aware that comparison is the thief of joy.

It's very, very difficult with a progressive disease to not think back to how things were - before diagnosis, five years ago, last birthday. But it's not useful, not healthy and certainly not helpful.

So while I'm not sure how my 45th birthday will be, I can only keep the words of the bard himself in mind: "With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come."



:: You & Me Song by The Wannadies

No comments:

Post a Comment