A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Stop

After last week's kicking, I decided that I'd have to reign in the activity a bit.

A decision unfortunately aided by my daughter who finally succumbed to the sickness bug which has been haunting her classroom like a dyspeptic spewing spook since November.

This was particularly sad as she woke up vomiting on the one day of the school year that they had a class trip.

Completely rubbish for her - no coach singing and classmate fun; instead a day on the settee with handy bucket and mummy running to and fro with towels, glasses of water and cuddly toys.

By Friday evening the unpleasant bug had, well, bugged off and we were left in the post-sickroom uniforms of pyjamas and blankets.

Aha, thought I, perhaps this is a sensible if slightly wiffy sign. A sign that maybe we should just continue the lockdown and do absolutely NOTHING all weekend.

So that (apart from changing pyjamas, because, you know, yeuch) is what we did.

And it was totally and utterly delightful. We stayed in bedclothes, we relaxed and between hubby and I we read aloud the third Harry Potter book to our recovering daughter who loves a bit of magic.

It made me wonder why we don't do this more often.

The answers of course, are simple: 1) we usually have something booked in almost every weekend, 2) I feel guilty if I stop, 3) the food shopping still needs to be done, 4) I feel guilty if I stop, 4) the house still needs cleaning, 5) I feel guilty if I stop.

Hmmm, perhaps I need to have a little think about that guilt issue.

I'd be the first person telling a friend that it doesn't matter if the washing up doesn't get done or the lawn isn't weeded - you are allowed to just let things go for a weekend. But never easy when we try and apply that sage advice to ourselves is it?

I'm also aware that quite often I'm forced to stop, so having the choice to stop seemed a little bit self-indulgent.

But, do you know what, it was absolutely the best thing for all of us. We had a really, really lovely family time just sitting and reading, laughing, being together and pretending to conjure up a Patronus.*

Maybe stopping for a bit will actually gave us all a little bit of a protective charm for the week ahead. I do hope so. It certainly gave us a magical weekend.



*For those not in the know, a Patronus is a silvery-white guardian which is a protective magical concentration of happiness and hope. Man, I wish Harry Potter was real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment