A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 4 April 2018

9-5

Work. It’s an interesting balance.


Generally I like it. And I am very appreciative of the fact that, generally speaking, I can still manage it.
On the other hand, on bad days (or bad weeks or months), it’s an almost impossibility.


And as of last week, its become an actual impossibility as I was made redundant.


This wasn’t a shock. I worked for an organisation which supports some of the most vulnerable in our society - but, by the nature of its work, is an organisation that needs support. Quite a lot of it financial.
And there’s not a lot of that about. Or at least not where it's most needed.


The announcement of the swingeing cuts - and inevitable redundancies - that were being made was given at a roadshow* last year. So since then I’ve been trying to prepare for what this might mean for my future working life.


Thus far I’ve been lucky with work – employers have tried to understand and support me, but I know I won’t always find employment where this is the case. Or perhaps always find employment.


I’m very aware that although my professional knowledge and experience has increased vastly since I was diagnosed, so have my physical and cognitive problems.


There are many, many unfortunate things about the timing of MS, but one of the biggest is that it tends to rear its ugly head in your 20s or 30s, the age at which you’re really hoping to get your career started.


And then, as time and damage march mercilessly on, it gradually eats into your working life options. The opportunities for advancement, promotion and more income look increasingly slim.


In sitcom world being ditzy, clumsy and forgetful is amusing, charming, even endearing. In real life, you’re just a pain in the arse employment liability.


But, incredibly fortunately, an opportunity has come up that a couple of months ago I had no idea even existed.
It’s new and it’s unknown and it will involve a pretty hefty amount of adjusting, but it’s very interesting and includes the chance to use my old skills in a new way.


It’s very early days and I’m not sure how it will pan out, but it’s a chance I didn’t expect to have and I am incredibly grateful.




*I wonder what the internal thinking was behind roadshow as a name. It’s certainly logical, members of our London-based management team travel out to a number of points across the country where we have offices, programmes and projects. They are, indeed, on the road.

But to many of us the term brings to mind Radio 1 and it’s always slightly disappointing that there’s no music, whistles and/or shouty DJs involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment