A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 8 January 2020

History repeating

I relapsed again just before Christmas. It's been a merry festive season.

This relapse is an almost carbon copy of the one I had earlier this year. It's mainly sensory, so: MS ruddy hug, scrambled sensation from neck down, tingly hands, numb bum, tiredness. So far, so familiar.

But while my feet escaped in May, they haven't this time and instead I genuinely feel like I'm walking on broken glass.

This relapse also appears to have taken the damp clothes sensation of earlier this year and upped it to a sandpaper scraping legs sensation.

It's all completely rubbish, obvs, and makes wearing clothes hugely unpleasant. But as I need to leave the house for work/school run purposes and have no desire to affront the general public, horrible feeling clothes it is.

As a slight plus though - my legs might feel they are being attacked by sandpaper, but they also can't feel the cold. A bonus for those non-work days when I am wearing shorts in the winter. Have learned to ignore the stares.

However, this two relapses in six months tally does only mean one thing - and that is a review of my current meds. As my neurologist depressingly puts it 'the DMT is not holding things at bay'.

So it's a case of gearing myself up to face the new meds choice. I am both immensely grateful that I have some options and hugely bewildered by what those options are.

I never feel qualified to decide what is the best thing to do. I really, really need some help, support, guidance and a me from the future telling me the most effective option.

As a minor aside, I also need to stop eating all the leftover Christmas chocolates.


Things I hate about MS relapses. A grumpy pie chart:



:: History repeating by Propellerheads feat: Miss Shirley Bassey



No comments:

Post a Comment