A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Friday 10 July 2020

A forest

It has to be said that I am - without doubt - one for getting bogged down in the detail.

Bit shaky on the bigger picture.  Not great at seeing the wood for the trees.

At the minute, I have a pretty big wood that I can't see in the form of making a decision about my next MS meds.

I know I need to start some new ones. Tecfidera is sadly not working - as evidenced by relapses, scans and depressing conversations with my neurologist.

I'm JC positive so that limits my options and after reading and comparing what was left I had, in February (pre-Covid hitting the UK) decided on Cladribine.

However, thanks to the virus, the chances of a hefty immune-suppressant being prescribed any time soon are pretty slim.

If I did want to pursue it (which my neurologist isn't recommending) I'd need to wait a few months - and then be at risk of shielding if we get a second Covid spike.

Humph.

So my current option is Gilenya and I have a few reservations about it - which are rapidly growing to tree-size concerns.

The problem is that I am reading as much as I can find, looking at every little potential problem and what-if. Rather than focusing on the bigger point, which is surely: that Tecfidera isn't working and here's something that might.

I don't know, maybe I should just stop reading stuff and say okay. A friend of mine with MS has done this and just accepted the meds suggested without reading the fine print.

I think that's quite brave and I almost wish I was that kind of a person. But I'm not, I surround myself with trees.

On that subject - and at least this is one set of foliage I can do something about - our back garden is just beyond overgrown.

So we're having gardeners in next week (hopefully, be kind weather) who offer one of their services as as "jungles cleared."

If only there were people I could call in to sort out my MS wood.




:: A forest by The Cure





No comments:

Post a Comment