A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 1 July 2020

Don't speak

Unexpectedly, I have picked up some new work while in lockdown.

This is great, obviously, but also quite scary. I'm trying to pick up new stuff via technology I've not used before with people I can't meet.

It means all those new-work questions that you can usually grab someone and ask in the kitchen, now have to be via email/Teams calls or chats.

And it's a VERY busy team so I have no way of knowing when I'm interrupting people as there are no in-person clues.

It's work similar to that I've done before, but not for a very long time and I'm both out of practice and out of confidence. Plus my memory is not what it once was.

As such, I have found myself getting quite stressed out (never a good plan for MS) and very tired.

Both of these states of affairs combined last week into a Teams meeting in which I had spectacular MS word vomit.

Words were there - but not necessarily in the right order.
Meanings were clear in my head - just not necessarily once they left my mouth.
Hands were flapping - trying desperately to form representations of what I was trying to articulate.

It wasn't a good impression. And there was absolutely no chance of styling it out in a Virginia Woolf-esque stream of consciousness.

Oh no.

Trying to take a breath and ask myself some key questions:

Could it be going worse? Well, yes.
Could it be going better? Unquestionably.
Could I do it via mime? Tempting.


:: Don't speak by No Doubt



No comments:

Post a Comment