A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Saturday 3 July 2021

Titanium

It's Disability Pride Month this month.

I'll be honest, I wasn't aware disabled people had a month in which to be proud, and I've been one for 17 years.

Either this shows a staggering lack of awareness on my part, or a larger one in society.

I'll leave that thought hanging.

But I also discovered we disabled people have our own pride flag, and I rather like it.

It's a little bit superhero, it's a little bit 80s retro, it's very slightly Bridget Riley. And all those are good things.

The meaning behind the design, by Ann Magill, is broken down into these parts:

Black background - a colour of mourning, to represent those who have suffered from Abelist violence, also a colour of rebellion and protest.

Zigzag/lightening bolt - how disabled people must navigate barriers and the creativity in doing so.

The five colours - the variety of needs and disabilities (mental, intellectual & developmental, invisible & undiagnosed, physical and sensory.)

The parallel stripes - solidarity and difference within the disability community.

So, now I know. And I shall fly the flag (metaphorically, I suspect, not literally.)

And I shall also take a moment to recognise that we should have a month of our own. A month to recognise and celebrate what we live with - every single day.

Because disability is with us for life. And that is nothing to be ashamed of. 

The ways in which we continue to live our lives - despite the hell our bodies throw at us and the varying and vastly misunderstood restrictions we face - is absolutely something to be proud of. 


:: Titanium by David Guetta ft Sia


No comments:

Post a Comment